Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jamie's Dream School changed my life

The celebrity teachers at Jamie Oliver's Dream School showed me I can be a success, says one its studentsIf you've been watching Jamie's Dream School, you might recognise me. My name is Ronnie Crosland, I'm 17 years old and I was a student there.I was doing an apprenticeship at a salon when I read a newspaper ad for Jamie Oliver's new show. I saw it as a chance for me to finally prove myself. I felt as if I had done well at my local state school - I got five Cs at GCSE - but I could have done better. I wasted so many hours not working. I suppose you could describe me as a teenage tearaway. That's one of the labels Dream School students have been given. Not particularly nice, and not particularly true.For the month we were there, we had a typical school timetable - but with celebrity teachers. History was taught by David Starkey, who prides himself on being Britain's rudest man. At the start of the first lesson, he branded us "failures" and then made a personal attack on a fellow pupil ? Conor ? calling him "fat". Unsurprisingly, this didn't win him the respect he expected. In contrast, Alastair Campbell earned a lot of respect because he got us involved in the lessons, and because we could tell he wasn't someone to get on the wrong side of. The class that had the most effect on me, though, was art with Rolf Harris. As my childhood hero, it was like a dream to be taught by him. I was lucky enough to work on a few pieces with him, and it has inspired me to carry on with art as a hobby.The lessons were completely different from those at real school of course. Some of the class definitely acted up to the cameras. But in some ways they were better ? there weren't so many pupils, so you got more time with the teachers.I'd like to get into primary education now. At the moment I'm giving inspirational talks to kids at school ? something I never thought I could do. Dream School has shown me that I have potential. But everyone can be a success. Just do your best and don't listen to anyone who doubts you. ? Jamie's Dream School is on Channel 4 on Wednesday at 9pm.Jamie OliverDocumentaryFactual TVTelevisionCelebrityRolf HarrisAlastair Campbellguardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More FeedsDerek Jeter Lance Armstrong Kristen Stewart Toby Keith Sean (Diddy) Combs

No comments:

Post a Comment